Posted on December 15, 2016
Christmas only two weeks away, we recommend placing your orders for
gifts now to avoid delay and disappointment. Australia Post and most
freight companies are reporting the busiest lead up to Christmas in many
years, so the earlier the better! At Smoked and Cured, we’re excited to
bring you our own Christmas Ham recipe again this year. You’ll need
~5-10 days, so get those orders in now to be ready for the big day!
We’re also pleased to announce that the new model 40” Masterbuilt Electric Smoker is back in stock. We’re delighted with the new model – it’s first class in every way. To celebrate, we’ve put together the Masterbuilt Complete Package in time for Saint Nick. This is the ultimate Christmas gift and will make any loved one giddy... we assure you!
We also have a heap of new products on our shelves which we think Smoked & Cured customers are going to love, with many more due to be released in the coming months. Exciting times ahead, so stay tuned…! More information below and make sure you check out our new Smoked Coffee Beans for the perfect start or end to your day.
Ben & Brenton
You will need:
Ham - Full Back Leg / Picnic Cut (Front Leg) - uncured.
Misty Gully Maple Ham Cure
Stainless Steel Injector
Large bucket / container / tub / bag
Space in the fridge!
1 & 1/3 cup of brown sugar
1 juice of an orange - enough to make a paste
1 whole orange zest
2 tsp of Keen's mustard powder
1 tablespoon of cloves
20 maraschino cherries (optional)
Curing your Ham
1. Mix your Misty Gully Maple Ham cure with water to make the brine. You need approximately 130g of cure per Litre of water. You need enough brine to completely submerge your ham in your container / tub.
2. Injecting your cure - use your injector to inject your ham with cure/brine as deeply as possible. For a proper cure, you need to inject the equivalent of 25% of the weight of the ham. Eg. If your ham weighs 4kg, you need to inject it with 1 litre of cure/brine. Make sure you get right along the bone.
3. Completely submerge your ham in the brine, then place it in the fridge to cure. How long you leave it to cure in te fridge will be determined by a) how large your cut of meat is and b) how salty you like your ham. For a rough guide, cure your ham for 24 hours per half kg. So for that 4kg ham, leave it in the fridge to cure for 8 days. Turn every 24 hours. That said, 10 days is usually more than sufficient for any full leg of ham.
4. Remove from the fridge and rinse with fresh water. Soak in a tub of fresh water for 30 mins. Rinse again.
5. Put back in the fridge on a plate / rack uncovered for 24 hours. This is where the ham will develop a 'skin' or pellicle, which will allow it to absorb more smoke and other flavours when cooking.
Cooking your Ham
1. Pre-heat your oven or smoker to 120°C. You can cook it slower or faster depending on your preference, but we'd suggest you stick within a range of 100-140°C.
2. If you're using a smoker, we'd suggest Maple, Apple, Cherry or Peach Chips. Try pre-soaking them in apple cider or sherry for extra aroma and flavour complexity.
3. If you're using an oven - spray your Ham with Misty Gully Liquid Smoke, season, and cook.
4. Test your internal temperature constantly. Your ham is ready when it is 68°C throughout internally.
5. Allow to cool for 2 hours.
6. Store wrapped in a tea towel or Ham Bag in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Dressing your Ham
Once you've got your ham already cured and cooked (you can actually just go to Coles and buy a Leg of Ham and just use that too...), for a more special Ham for the Christmas table, then use the following method for dressing your Christmas Ham:
1. In a medium saucepan heat brown sugar, orange juice, zest, a tbsp of cloves and the mustard powder. Allow to simmer until thick and syrupy.
2. Peel the skin off the ham being careful to leave as much fat on the ham as possible. Score the fat in a diamond criss-cross pattern (about an inch distance between each score). Cut maraschino cherries in half and pierce through with a long stemmed clove into each node in the criss-cross pattern.
3. Preheat oven or smoker to 175°C, glaze the ham and begin cooking. Baste every 20-30 min. Cook for approximately 90 minutes, or until the Ham reaches an internal temperature of 68°C.
4. Carve and serve Hot!
-Pack of 4 Mojobricks Bar-B-Qubes
-Red Butcher's Apron
-Hi Mountain Large Rub 284g
-Hi Mountain Seasoning Shaker 67g
-Char Crust dry-rub seasoning 113g
-3 x 125ml sample bottles of Liquid Smoke
Temples of BBQ - Lance Rosen's award winning cook book is a great gift for any food lover this Christmas. Join Lance on his South-West US oddyssy as he travels to 69 different soul-food and BBQ eateries, hand selecting the finest authentic recipes to bring home to you. Winner of Gourmand's 'Best Cook Book in the World' - find out why...
Ricci Method - Artisan Micro-Roasted Coffee Beans - "Coffee beans? What are you on about Smoked & Cured?" Well, believe us - these coffee beans are extraordinary. The Ricci Method is one of Melbourne's most unique up and coming Micro-Roasters, bringing back the ancient method of roasting and smoking their coffee beans over select premium woods, to bring out flavours in their coffee beans that are simply mind blowing. This method of coffee bean roasting dates back centuries, and with these traditional practices, you will taste flavours and complexities that simply cannot be matched with coffee made in today's industrial mire. $15 a bag, this makes for a unique Christmas gift, or the perfect way to start each morning over your Christmas break...
Maverick TE-733 Thermometer - brand new model, in stock. DIRT CHEAP $96.95. Get them now at this price because they won't last. The perfect gift for hubby this Christmas...
New Sauces - we introduced you to our favourite Cowtown 'Night of the Living Bar-B-Q Sauce' last month and it has been flying out the door. It's our aim over the coming months to continually source unique, micro batch sauces and condiments from the States to give our customers a chance to sample some of the USA's finest BBQ condiments. This month we have a few crackers... You can check them out here. We are loving the Longhorn Chipotle BBQ sauce here at Smoked & Cured, while the Louisiana Hot Sauce is already selling fast. Keep an eye on this page on our site - we will be constantly adding to our unique range...!
Posted by Peter on 12th Dec 2016
Love the taste best jerky seasoning on the market
HI MOUNTAIN BREAKFAST SAUSAGE KIT - SAGE
Posted by Trevor on 7th Dec 2016
Love Making All My Own Sausages
Posted by Peter Achleitner on 3rd Dec 2016
Thank you for sending this high quality product to us (expats) here in Malaysia! These casings are far superior and better priced to those from our previous (now defunct) U.S. supplier. Way to go, Australia!!
If you have any product suggestions or requests, please drop us an email at: email@example.com and we’ll try our best to stock it.